Monday, July 20, 2015

Interview with Charles Hadley Blanchard

In my ongoing quest to learn about the people who live in the small towns of the Catskills, I have had the great fortune to meet a wide variety of interesting folks. One in particular is a well known artist and weaver named Charles Hadley Blanchard, owner of Dyeberry Weaver in Narrowsburg NY. He agreed to share his story of arrival to the Catskill region and how it has transformed over the years.

When did you make your way to the Catskills?
I moved to Dyberry Township north of Honesdale, Pennsylvania in 1977----the Wayne (County) Highlands is just across the Delaware River from the Catskills, but Pennsylvanians do not identify with them.

How long have you lived in Narrowsburg? 
I moved to Narrowsburg in 2003---I needed space for my loom necessitated by a divorce.  My studio had been in my home.

When did you become a weaver? 
I have referred to myself as a weaver since 1968 when I first learned on a very simple loom.  It has always been a bad business decision---but I simply have to do it---I GET to do it.  More than a hobby....

Once you settled into The Catskills, did you find a large artist community? How has that community evolved over time?
Due to the proximity to the Metropolitan Area, there are artists here----but this is for the artist who does not need the NYC galleries, necessarily.  There are many venues for SHOWING art, that also sell domestic items.  The local audience is small.

How would you describe the weekender and visitor population?
The main industry in the Delaware Valley is the second home.  There are more and more Bed and Breakfasts, for those who have not yet made the move.  It is increasing.

As a local, do you welcome the changes that are taking place due to the increased tourism? Describe the upsides and downsides of this.
I pray we are spared the deluge of tourists like on the East End Of Long Island.  Yet, the influx has brought the benefit of better restaurants, higher property values and a sense of trying to preserve and enhance our natural resources.

As new artists, restauranteurs and shopkeepers open businesses, the flavor and offering of the Catskills attracts greater amounts of both visitors and second homeowners. While Charles has witnessed a great shift in the population and style of Narrowsburg, NY, I too in just 5 short years have seen an enormous increase of city dwellers buying a slice of the rural pie. As Charles tactfully mentioned, we would like to be spared the deluge of tourists even though we can't escape the need of a fueled economy. It is a delicate balance for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment